Wednesday, January 1, 2014

"Bon An" from Friuli

     This New Year's Eve, or Capodanno in Italian, we celebrated quietly at home with Emanuele's family.  We had just returned that day from the US, so I lacked the strength to infuse any American elements into the evening -- except teaching my in-laws to play the card game "Spoons"; this was truly an Italian New Year's Eve.  His mother cooked lentils and muset (also known as cotechino, a type of cured/boiled meat) which is a traditional Italian dish for New Year's Eve. 
 
 
     Then we watched the President's address which happens every NYE.  President Napolitano spoke for about 20 minutes in a "State of the Union" type of speech which centered on the economic crisis, the aging population in Italy, and he also responded to letters which citizens had written.  This was funny for me; I just couldn't imagine Obama addressing everyone on NYE, since many people go out to eat or to a bar, and no one wants to think about politics on a night that is supposed to be joyous.  This was followed by a song and dance show filmed in snow-covered Courmayeur that counted down at midnight. 
 
     At a certain point, fruit and nuts came out, and reminded me of when I was little and we actually would have mixed nuts at Christmastime.  Do we still do that in the US?  I think it's a tradition that needs to be revived. 

     Emanuele had bought some assorted fireworks that day -- they're legal in Italy depending on the type.  Larger towns typically have their own display, although this year the nearby town of Cervignano cancelled theirs because they wanted to be more friendly to pets and thought the fireworks would scare them.  Max watched his first fireworks with minimal interest.  We had just flown back from the US and he was out of it with the time change.

 
     We set off our fireworks just before midnight in the park in the center of town.  It was a ghost town, with the only other noise coming from a party.  No cars or anything drove through our piazza.  We went inside and toasted at midnight with spumante followed by panettone, the Christmas cake that I LOVE and that you find all during the holidays.

     Italians say Tanti Auguri (best wishes, all the best) for everything.  I keep wanting to run around saying the appropriate phrase for the appropriate holiday, in this case, Buon Anno, but everyone just replies with Auguri, so I don't know why I bother.  Buon Anno translates to Bon An in Friulano, so that's actually my greeting of choice, since I'm always trying to make Italians laugh at an American speaking Friulano. 
     Starting 2nd of January we get to start saying Buon Proseguimento which was a surprise to me when I heard it last year.  When you say this you're in essence wishing the continuation of good wishes.  When I asked how long I can keep saying this I got mixed responses -- some said through Ephiphany, some said mid-January, some said until the end of January.  As a newbie to the Italian language, I will say it as much as I can to practice and see what response I get. 
     New Year's Resolutions are, as expected, more popular in the US than Italy, since we are the kings of self improvement.  In fact when my brother-in-law was asked what his Buon Proposito would be, he said "I'm fine the way I am!". 
     Wishing everyone a Happy New Year and Bon An wherever you are!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Julia. That meat dish reminds me of boudin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tasha, yes, it is a little like boudin. I saw your NYE photo with you and your hubby dressed to kill. I can't wait til Max is old enough and we can go out for NYE. Wishing you and your beautiful family the best in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete